Mine Information Database System - Help
Using the Search Feature
The search feature gives the user a set of tools that will allow for advanced querying. Users are able to query the database by county, mine name, company name, quadrangle, coal seam, year, and permit number. Users can also query by corner notes or by a bounding rectangle. For counties and coal seams, the user can select multiple entries by holding down the <ctrl> key. In fields such as county, users can begin typing the county name to navigate directly without the need to scroll. In most cases, leaving the field blank will omit it from the query. All fields are optional. Most of the features are self explanatory but a few are described below.
- County Highlight a county or select Any to query all counties. Hold down the Control Key <Ctrl> to select multiple counties.
- Quadrangle Double-click a quadrangle to add it to the query.
- Quad Filter Begin typing a quadrangle name and the quadrangle box will filter out quads based on the text string entered.
- Bed Select a coal seam or multiple coal seams to include them in the query.
Hold down the Control Key <Ctrl> to select multiple seams. Seam names follow WVGES standards.
- Company or Mine Name Enter a text string to query the database. Partial matches are allowable. This field is not case sensitive.
- Permit Number Enter the state or federal permit number. Partial matches are allowed.
- Corner Notes Four corner note options to choose from. Select NULL to get a list of records that have not been addressed by WVGES staff.
- Show Mines Added After Use this to view records added after a specific date.
Using the Query Results
The results page gives multiple types of information relating to the query. It returns the number of documents found, along with the number of mines contained on the documents.
Above the table heading are options to view printable lists, download the query results in CSV format, and also an option to download a list of documents found in the query.
The query table contains Document ID, Mine Name, Company Name, Bed, Corner Notes, and County. Clicking on the headings will sort the table by that field. Users can click on any information found in the query results to view the individual record or to query for addition documents that contain a given mine.
*Please note that query results can not exceed 5000 records. If your query results are over 5000 records, you will need to further refine the query to narrow down the results.
Page last revised: November 12, 2008
Please send questions, comments, and/or suggestions to webmaster.
Page created and maintained by:
West Virginia Geological and Economic Survey
Address: Mont Chateau Research Center
1 Mont Chateau Road
Morgantown, WV 26508-8079
Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. EST, Monday - Friday
Permission to reproduce this material is granted if acknowledgment is given
to the West Virginia Geological and Economic Survey.