Summary Data and Statistics
Coal Summary Statistics Query Page
Please note the following:
- Coal production data are unavailable for a number of West Virginia counties. Explanations are as follows.
- The following counties have no Pennsylvanian-age, coal-bearing rocks; and therefore, no minable coal beds are
present: Berkeley, Hampshire, Hardy, Jefferson, Monroe, Morgan, and
- The following counties are underlain by Pennsylvanian-age, coal-bearing rocks but no economically minable
coal beds are known at this time to be present: Cabell, Calhoun, Jackson, Ritchie,
Roane, Tyler, Wirt, and Wood.
- The following counties are underlain by Pennsylvanian-age, coal-bearing rocks in which coal beds have been
mined economically in the past but significant future production is unlikely: Hancock and Pleasants.
- The following counties are underlain by Pennsylvanian-age coal beds that are deeply buried and potentially
minable in the future: Doddridge and Wetzel.
- For the year 1993, values contained within the columns "Total Prod," "Underground Prod," and "Continuous Prod"
are questionable. Data were extracted from the West Virginia Office of Miners' Health, Safety and Training Annual
Report and Directory of Mines 1993 (published July 1994). Data are suspect because within the published report
1) values do not total correctly within certain tables and 2) all values do not correspond between various tables.
- For the year 2007, all data fields may not be complete at this time.
Enter search criteria and then press the Search Button.